RFID Planner - Your Guide to Planning for an RFID System
First Question: Why?
- Data Automation Can Speed Processes, Improve Productivity
- Supply Chain Management and Data Integration
- Barcode vs. RFID
Define Tagging Objectives to Meet Information Needs
- Who will use the data collected, and why?
- What sorts of information will be tracked?
- Make sure your infrastructure can handle the information collected
Take an Infrastructure Inventory
- Where will your system be deployed? (Warehouse, Retail Spaces,
Shipping/Handling Point, etc.)
- How will your products be scanned? (Distance, accuracy, individual
products vs. pallet-level scanning, etc.)
- How will scanned data be transported? (From antenna to network,
wireless vs. hardwired)
- How will scanned data be used? (Warehouse Management System,
Enterprise Resource Planning, Customer Relationship Management,
Supply Chain Management, Business Intelligence, etc.)
- Networked Assets (Computers, Terminals, Scanners, Data Collection
Devices, Antennas, Servers, Software)
Planning System Installation and Integration
- Antenna Placement
- Tag Placement
- Operating Procedures
- Product Movement and Flow
- Report Printing Points
- Information Access Points
Don't Forget Training and Testing!
- Allow plenty of time for employee training
- Allow plenty of time for system testing and fixes